Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Golan

Got a new Android phone? Do you like to read news and blogs but find yourself offline a lot away from wifi? On a plane? On a train? Maybe you don't like how awkward it is to browse on a phone? If you answered yes to any of these things (Android phone required) then maybe you should try out my little baby. The name is Golan. The name was inspired from Golan Trevize, a fictional character from Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series.

Applications like these have been around for some time. For years, I owned Palm devices and was a heavy Plucker user. When I lived in NY, I was often out of network range in the subway. Plucker was so useful. I don't know if anyone will port Plucker directly to Android. But, this is my start in that direction. Only 1 level of "plucking" so far, but I'm pleased with it for now. There is room for lots of improvement.

The project site is hosted on Google's Code site where you can download the source (soon to be committed) or a built version and install on your phone. Once I save up $30 for the registration fee, I will post it to the Android Market. And, it will be free.

Golan Project Home




Let's get plucking!

No comments: